- Numbered streets did not exist in Cleveland until 1906.
- West 3rd Street was Seneca Street
- West 5th Street was Herschel Street
- West 6th Street was McKinstry Street and ran only from Railway (now University) to Literary. South of
Literary, a small alley called Emmet Court followed the path of McKinstry south to Marquart Street.
- West 7th Street was University Street
- West 10th Street was Pelton Avenue.
- West 11th Street was Merchant Street.
- West 14th Street was Jennings Avenue.
- Marquardt Street east of West 5th (Herschel) became Scothan Street and continued down the hill well past St. Lawrence Avenue, which was platted but never constructed and now follows the trail of the towpath. The non-existent St. Lawrence was renamed West 4th Street in 1906.
- The north-most block of what is now West 5th Street between Literary and Railway (now University) was called Swan Street.
- Professor Street appears to have had a rail line, which turned northwest along what is now Fairfield Road up to Jennings (West 14th) Street. Fairfield then begins on the other (west) side of Jennings.
- The area between West 4th and 5th Streets (St. Lawrence and Herschel) was fully platted after the Civil War and was perhaps 25 percent built out.
- Lincoln Park was called Pelton Park.
The North of Literary and Central Neighborhoods, 1898chris1012020-04-15T14:51:07+00:00